Feedback Required on Draft Policy for Accountable Items
5th August 2021
The Clinical Excellence Commission has revised the Accountable Items policy directive and it is undergoing it's second consultation.
This document is your foundational building block to practice, so please take the time to review and comment.
- Title: Managing and counting accountable items used during surgery and other procedures
- Purpose: The policy supports the Australian Sentinel Event 4 unintended retention of a foreign object in a patient after surgery or other invasive procedure resulting in serious harm or death.
- Applies to: All clinical staff involved in managing and counting accountable items used during surgery and other procedures
Deadline: NOW Extended to 5pm Thursday 28th October, 2021
Comments can be made on this link:
The draft policy contains two options for managing accountable items used by the anaesthetic team during the count. At points in the draft policy, two versions of text are provided and highlighted in blue. These two versions are included at sections 2.2 Anaesthetic accountable items and 5. Appendix (under Sharps).
• Version 1 supports inclusion of anaesthetic accountable items in the count.
• Version 2 does not support the inclusion of anaesthetic accountable items in the count. Under this version the anaesthetic team is responsible for the management of these items.
The final policy will adopt one version only.
Thank you for taking the time to comment.
NSW OTA President
Website: Have Your Say