Transition to Perioperative Practice Program
The NSW OTA is pleased to announce the new NSW Health “Transition to Perioperative
Practice” Program (T2PP) has been distributed to NSW Health operating theatres.
In 2015, the NSW OTA held discussions with NSW Health on providing an educational resource
for NSW perioperative nurses for consistency across all facility types, based on contemporary
evidenced based information and learning materials.
The Program was developed by Project Officers (with Deb Burrows as the Lead) and a perioperative reference group was formed during 2016-2017 that included Clinical Nurse Consultants, Nurse Educators, Nurse Managers, and Nursing Unit Managers from across NSW Health.
The T2PP program provides a foundation level of knowledge and skills for nurses new to the perioperative environment. It utilises a standardised yet flexible approach, including resources, case studies, learning opportunities, peer support and clinical skills assessments to be undertaken on the job.
The key objectives of the program are to:
- Develop the confidence and competence of the perioperative nurse within a supportive clinical setting to provide quality patient care
- Collaborate with all members of the healthcare team to develop an educationally supportive culture
- Provide the novice perioperative nurse with a comprehensive but flexible program that supports transition to advanced beginner
- Provide varied learning opportunities during which the participant can assess, share and validate knowledge
- Develop communities of practice that are reflective, responsive and value critical thinking
The T2PP is presented in 3 manuals
- Participants Resource Manual
- Facilitators Manual
- Clinical skills and performance assessments
The NSW OTA is proud to have been instrumental in the concept of this Transition to Perioperative Practice program and thank NSW Health for their support and recognition of our speciality, Perioperative Nursing.